In 2002, we heard about babies leaving a local hospital without necessities like nappies, clothing or basic toiletries – even to the point of a baby going home in a plastic shopping bag! So a group of ladies in our congregation (El Shaddai Christian Church) rose to the challenge and we began sewing beautiful nappy bags and filling them with the essentials.
By the end of May 2018, we have distributed over 12750 bags in all shapes, sizes and colours, both locally (Karl Bremer, Kraaifontein, Tygerberg, Wesfleur in Atlantis, Paarl and Mowbray Maternity hospitals, Durbanville clinic and Delft MOU) as well as further afield to communities in need in places like Botswana, Kenya, Malawi and even Russia. One baby and one mother at a time – providing some form of rescue from an unfair and unjust start to life.
What does the nappy bag contain?
Contents of a Bag of Love:
3 towelling nappies (68cm x 68cm), disposable nappies (newborn), 3 babygrows (0-3 months), vest (0-3 months), babygrow (3-6 months), receiving blanket, 2 nappy pins, 2 face cloths, 2 waterproofs, 100ml petroleum jelly, 100g baby soap, 100g soap for Mom, bib, cotton wool, soft toy, magazine, a knitted set – hat, pair of booties, jersey & blanket, small bottle of surgical spirits and maternity pads.
The value of each bag is over R500. The uniqueness of our project is that it is all put together in a pretty bag.
Contents of a Bag of Hope:
babygrow (0-3 months), hat, wrapping blanket, 100g baby soap, 100ml petroleum jelly, disposable nappies.
Contents of Bag of Dignity:
Pack of panties, deodorant, face cloth, 100g soap, shampoo, toothbrush, toothpaste.
Join the Bless-a-Baby family in helping these vulnerable newborn babies. If each person does what they can, together it all adds up and makes an impact. We can do more together than we can apart.
Easy ways you can get involved
* Moms of babies – when clearing out your cupboards of clothing that your baby has outgrown, please consider donating it to Bless-a-Baby. 0-3, 3-6 month, clean, second hand clothing, blankets, soft toys, unused toiletries. Also gather donations from your friends with babies.
* Anyone that can knit or crochet – please use your skill to make a difference in the lives of a baby. Stitch 0-3 month size jersey sets – jersey, beanie, booties. Or a blanket (approx. 75cm x 1m)
A Bag of Love is R500
A Bag of Hope is R120
A Bag of Dignity is R130
* Pack-a-bag. Ask us for a bag, buy the contents of the bag and pack it at home.
* Financial gifts are most welcome via a secure platform, Payfast:
* Companies – product donations
* Become a permanent dropoff point for Bless-a-Baby in and around Cape Town.
* Join our group of volunteers that work in the mornings to pack bags and sort through donations in our room in Durbanville.
* Watch our Facebook page for our 6 most needed items:
0-3 months clothing is always on the list. We require 250 outfits plus 70 vests per month.
Most needed Items
0-3 month clothing (New or Gently used)
100g soap for Mom
What an amazing experience, we feel so blessed by people helping us to help moms in need.read more
Here it is! Our TV Interview on “Die Groot Ontbyt” which aired 11 June 2018read more
Did you know that everyone working and helping in any area does so on a volunteer basis only, no permanent employees just precious volunteers! Let us know if you would like to open your heart to...read more