In 2002, we heard about babies leaving a local hospital without necessities like nappies, clothing or basic toiletries – even to the point of a baby going home in a plastic shopping bag! So a group of ladies in our congregation (El Shaddai Christian Church) rose to the challenge and we began sewing beautiful nappy bags and filling them with the essentials.
By the end of May 2018, we have distributed over 12750 bags in all shapes, sizes and colours, both locally (Karl Bremer, Kraaifontein, Tygerberg, Wesfleur in Atlantis, Paarl and Mowbray Maternity hospitals, Durbanville clinic and Delft MOU) as well as further afield to communities in need in places like Botswana, Kenya, Malawi and even Russia. One baby and one mother at a time – providing some form of rescue from an unfair and unjust start to life.
What does the nappy bag contain?
Contents of a Bag of Love:
3 towelling nappies (68cm x 68cm), disposable nappies (newborn), 3 babygrows (0-3 months), vest (0-3 months), babygrow (3-6 months), receiving blanket, 2 nappy pins, 2 face cloths, 2 waterproofs, 100ml petroleum jelly, 100g baby soap, 100g soap for Mom, bib, cotton wool, soft toy, magazine, a knitted set – hat, pair of booties, jersey & blanket, small bottle of surgical spirits and maternity pads.
The value of each bag is over R500. The uniqueness of our project is that it is all put together in a pretty bag.
Contents of a Bag of Hope:
babygrow (0-3 months), hat, wrapping blanket, 100g baby soap, 100ml petroleum jelly, disposable nappies.
Contents of Bag of Dignity:
Pack of panties, deodorant, face cloth, 100g soap, shampoo, toothbrush, toothpaste.
Join the Bless-a-Baby family in helping these vulnerable newborn babies. If each person does what they can, together it all adds up and makes an impact. We can do more together than we can apart.
Easy ways you can get involved
* Moms of babies – when clearing out your cupboards of clothing that your baby has outgrown, please consider donating it to Bless-a-Baby. 0-3, 3-6 month, clean, second hand clothing, blankets, soft toys, unused toiletries. Also gather donations from your friends with babies.
* Anyone that can knit or crochet – please use your skill to make a difference in the lives of a baby. Stitch 0-3 month size jersey sets – jersey, beanie, booties. Or a blanket (approx. 75cm x 1m)
A Bag of Love is R600
A Bag of Hope is R300
* Pack-a-bag. Ask us for a bag, buy the contents of the bag and pack it at home.
* Financial gifts are most welcome via a secure platform, Payfast:
* Companies – product donations
* Become a permanent dropoff point for Bless-a-Baby in and around Cape Town.
* Join our group of volunteers that work in the mornings to pack bags and sort through donations in our room in Durbanville.
* Watch our Facebook page for our 6 most needed items:
0-3 months clothing is always on the list. We require 250 outfits plus 70 vests per month.
Most needed Items
0-3 month clothing (New or Gently used)
100g soap for Mom
#GivingTuesday is a global day of giving fueled by the power of social media & collaboration. Celebrated on the Tuesday following the widely recognized shopping events Black Friday & Cyber Monday, #GivingTuesday kicks off the charitable season, when many focus on...read more
Bless-a-Baby has been assisting mothers and babies for 16 years by distributing filled nappy bags. In January 2018 the Durbanville based project was expanded to Bloemfontein. Bless-a-Baby Bloemfontein operates in the same manner as the Durbanville branch with Bags of...read more
The Bag of Hope which has essential items for both mom and baby. This bag combines and replaces our previous 2 mini-bags and is an emergency bag for both mommy and baby. Join us as we are expanding and restructuring our bags by donating these essential items for our...read more
021 975 1983
Please feel free to contact us with any questions or if you would like to help a new mom.
Operating hours for workroom:
Monday: 10:00 till 12:00
Tuesday: morning 10:00 till 12:00 and afternoon 13:30 till 15:30
Wednesday: morning 10:00 till 12:30 and afternoon 13:30 till 15:30
Thursday: 10:00 till 12:30 Friday: 10:00 till 12:00 Saturday: Every second Saturday 9:30am till 11:30am